Here is the Truth: You don’t have to struggle to be happy. You don’t have to earn it, deserve it, or even work to maintain it.
In black and white, this sounds ridiculous. Of course I don’t have to struggle to be happy!
To your rational brain, a struggle for happiness makes 0% sense. To your reptilian brain, it makes 100% sense.
Why? Because your brain’s job, from age 0-7 ish, is to learn how to function as a human. As you crawl around your early environment, you are a sponge to acceptable trends, attitudes and behaviors.
If your environment teaches you what I call a Happiness Work Ethic, you become an adult that constantly works to be happy.
What are signs that you crawled into a Happiness Work Ethic?
Did your toddler-self hear…
- What makes you think you deserve that!?
- You think you can have whatever you want, don’t you!?
- You need to earn it.
- We know what really matters. (We = people who struggle & work hard)
- They are selfish, shallow and spoiled. (They = people with ease, contentment & money)
- Who do you think you are? (for even thinking, let alone talking, about what you want)
- You better be grateful! (in that pukey kind of way that makes you more guilty than grateful)
Well, thanks mom and dad! Just kidding…
If your parents taught you The Happiness Work Ethic, you are here for a reason. It is about that time to stop living like a toddler and to make a grown-up decision.Will happiness be your birth right? Will it be the outward expression of your eternal joy? Will happiness be a choice independent from your external environment?
I challenge you: Write a Happiness declaration. Share it with friends.
Then, I beg you: Bring your version of happiness into your environment!!! If you do, you could save a helpless toddler from the pain of futile struggle.
Need some extra help letting go of these natural, yet stifling, ways of feeling? EFT & Energy Therapy shift your energy system around past experiences so that you can feel and think the way you choose. Schedule a free 15-minute phone consultation to learn more.
ps: Weekly posts will move to Tuesday as I introduce Tuesday Truths Enjoy!
Subscribe to my blog below.